Surrey Music and Arts Summer Holiday Activities
Welcome to the SMASH activities, Surrey Arts holiday programme for music and arts courses and workshops. This year we will be delivering all our programmes remotely online. There are a range of activities for families and young people to experience different music styles and instruments. Spread over two weeks there will a free demos and music sessions as well as master classes and refresher classes to improve those music skills.
Due to the programme being delivered online all live performances will require all attendees to register whether the session is free or paid for. This enables the programme to operate safely and in a controlled environment. The sessions will be delivered via Zoom and a link will be sent to each student via their parent or carer after they have been registered.
The 2020 Programme
There will be two weeks of programmes with many activities free to register for as well as some activities that will be delivered via the Surrey Arts social media channels. There is an overview to the two weeks below and more in depth descriptions of all the activities, how much they cost and appropriate age ranges and abilities.
Limited places available for each activity. The programme may be subject to change and sessions with low numbers may be cancelled.
A copy of the full programme is available here
Week 1 programme: 3 – 7 August
Week 2 programme: 24 – 28 August
Free family art workshops
Brass demos and masterclasses
A range of fun percussion workshops
Guitar workshop for young guitarists of all abilities
String workshops for beginners and intermediate players
Piano refresher lessons and trial sessions
A range of singing workshops for children of all ages
Introduction to Jazz Improvisation
Intro to music production and music tech
Jigsaw Pieces part 1 & 2
Beginner Composing and Composing for a Film Clip
Sessions Postponed. Opportunities will be available again in the near future
Find out about the history of Western classical music
Learn how to read music and prepare for Grade 5 theory exam
SEN friendly workshops with UP! Orchestra
We are offering concessions (subject to availability) to families who are in receipt of :
- Family Income Support
- Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
- Child Tax Credit (but not if they are entitled to Working Tax Credit or if their annual income, as assessed by the Inland Revenue, exceeds £16,190 in the current tax year)
- Universal Credit
And for young people from the following groups:
- Looked After Children in community homes or in foster care
- Care leavers up to the age of 25
- Children who attend Short Breaks funded special schools (music lessons could be either at the school or in the child’s home)
- Young people who attend alternative education settings (online lessons to take place within education settings such as Pupil Referral Units, mental health settings etc)
- Unaccompanied Asylum-Seeking Children
- Young refugees
- Young carers
- UP! Orchestra members
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org before registering as we will ask you to send proof of your entitlement to any of these benefits and check availability.