Need some help choosing the right instrument for your child?
There are lots of great resources out there to help you choose. Please feel free to contact us for some advice.
Assisted instrument purchase scheme
Changes in the 1994 VAT (Education) Order now enable Surrey Arts’ pupils to purchase musical instruments free of VAT. The procedure for this scheme has been approved by HM Customs and Excise and was reviewed in September 1994 by the VAT office.
The instrument you wish to purchase must be new. You may choose your own supplier. Advice on a choice of instrument is available from your child’s teacher or from Surrey Arts Co-ordinators of strings, brass and woodwind teaching.
To comply with HM Custom and Excise rules, the following criteria must be satisfied:
- The student must be in receipt of continuous music lessons from Surrey Arts
- The student must be a full-time student
- The instrument must be appropriate to the student’s needs and ability
- The instrument must be portable
- The instrument must change hands on Surrey Arts premises
This scheme is non-profit making and offered by Surrey Arts as a service.
Take it Away
Take it Away is subsidised by the Arts Council and gives access to interest-free loans to purchase instruments to support musicians of every age in England and Northern Ireland – with subsidised options tailored to children and young adults in England.